Monday 23 April 2012

Making Scene 2 part 2

The next step was the cannonball itself. I created a sphere and added the cannons material to create the ball.

While adding it to the animation I came across a problem. When adding the ball to the scene it was constantly there. I attempted to place the ball inside the cannon to hide it before it was shot. But when the cannon moved forward it left the ball behind. To overcome this I used the set key to move the ball every few frames so it kept within the cannon until it was shot.

I wanted a life-like shot so by researching cannon movement I found out that there is recoil when a ball leaves the cannon. To animate this I made the cannon barrell bounce back and then forward again in the space of three frames. This jolting action gave a violent motion which the cannon would have given off in real life.


Using the auto key I made the ball move from the cannon mouth to the wall. I found in some research that cannon ball do rotate when fired due to friction. So I added a rotation to the ball as it is fired to the wall.

Now that the animation motions are complete the next stage is to capture them. Using a free light I managed to swipe across the scene to capture the best and most dramatic shot I could.


By moving the camera into different perspectives I could capture the motion of the cannon and the ball in an interesting way.

By looking at the storyboard I knew what to capture and how.

I placed the camera at the mouth of the cannon to capture the moment when the ball is shot out. This makes for a more dramatic camera shot.

The ball flies through the camera and is met the other side where the camera follows the ball as it travels towards the wall. This shot allows to viewer to see the rotation and movment of the ball.

From here I can add the wall smashing and futher moments in the animation.


No comments:

Post a Comment