Monday 27 February 2012

Thoughts on models

Over the past 6 weeks I have been creating 3 models to do with Leonardo Da Vinci.

I have learnt lots of new skills in 3DS Max and I have really enjoyed creating the models.

The most complex model was the Siege machine. It used lots of techniques in one model. From the start it was a challenge for me as I could not create the correct shape in which the main bulk of the machine was. I tried many different shapes but found it was easier in the end to use a prism and bevel the top shape.

I found the tutorials useful as I used a selection of them. I found the boolean, loft and array tool most helpful as it provided the necessary effects which the model needed.

I enjoyed placing the materials on to the models as I think it made the work come together. UVW mapping was a hero in some areas as 3DS did not automatically place them in the correct position or size. The wood effect worked well.

I found the castle quite complex as I had different walls to place the stone material on and 3DS did not understand some of the shapes. UVW mapping helped a lot.

The cannon was fun for me to make as it was a simple concept with simple shapes but when it came together gave a life-like look.

I have really enjoyed creating the models and loved the skills I have learnt. I cannot wait to be able to use them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment