Tuesday 6 March 2012

Using the reactor tool

For my animation I want to incorporate the cannon firing at a wall. I researched into using the Rayfire tool but I found out that it is not in the standard 3DS Max.

To get a similar effect I used the reactor tool.

I created a brick wall (made by separate bricks) and a boulder (sphere).
It is important to lift up all objects slightly so it is not touching the plane as this can mess things up.

I had to add a plain to the scene (using the reactor tool set shown on left).
I then selected all the objects and made them into a rigid body collection (top tool on the left). The next step was to select just the bricks and use the fracture tool (also on left).

I then selected the reactor tab under utilities. Under the properties rollout I added a mass to the bricks and the ball (the ball being considerably heavier). When the ball is selected it was important to check the "unyielding" box under properties.

I then had to animate the ball moving through the wall using the autokey.

From here I could preview the animation to see if it worked and it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment