Tuesday 20 March 2012

Using the reactor tool for animation

Within my animation I wanted to make a cannonball smash through a castle wall. To do this I would need to use the reactor tool.

The first thing I needed to do was to take away part of the castle wall in the original model and replace it with a wall made from individual bricks. I used the array tool to do this quickly. I then added the top wall bricks and made it blend in with the rest of the model using the move and enlargement tools.

I then created the cannon ball using a sphere and added the relevant materials to make it look like a cannon ball.

Then selecting the newly made bricks, the cannon ball and the plane I made a rigid body collection.

The next stage was to create mass for the wall and the ball. I gave the ball a mass of 500 and the bricks 100. This would give a relatively realistic motion. I made the ball move by using the auto key and gave it a little rotation.

I adjusted the collateral tolerance to 0.4 to stop any bricks jumping high when the animation began.



I previewed the animation and was not happy about how the wall fell down so I adjusted the speed of the ball and the height of the impact. This made it much better.

I then created the animation and it iput it with the rest of the scene. I played it to make sure it worked fine and it did thank goodness!

With the scenes animation complete all I had left to do was to add lighting and a camera view as this would make it more interesting. I used a free direct light and added shadows. I moved and rotated its postion to gain the best looking angle I could find.

Next I used a free camera and animated its movements by using the autokey. I moved it from one side of the wall to the other attempting to capture the motion of the cannonball itself. But the camera moved way to fast so I changed the wideness of the lense so it was a more open perspective. This was the final result:


I really like the way it has turned out as it gives a high quality looking finish to the animation. I think the camera movement adds a lot to make it more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment